Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone out there! I love this holiday. When I was a kid it was an excuse to dress up in all sorts of fantastic costumes and clothes. In grade 3 I went to school in a lime green blouse and grass green pants. In grade 3, I thought that was the coolest thing ever. (Of course, for every day clothes I wore neon yellow pants and a sunshine tee-shirt! I was a bright child, hehe.) One year I forgot to wear green and I panicked. My mother told me to tell everyone who asked why I wasn't wearing green that I was wearing green underpants. I loved it!


The other great thing about St. Patrick's Day that I love and cherish now is that it introduced me to Irish folklore and Celtic fairy tales. I looked forward to that part of the year so much when I was in elementary school. "Stone Soup" is still one of my favourite tales to this day. This introduction has lead to a lifetime love of fairy tales and folklore and I think I am all the better for it. It brings a little magic into my life and I believe we all need a little magic. This is what I try to bring into my jewelry making and my art. Just a hint of something whimsical or delightful.

So Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone. Enjoy the green beer, laugh lots and watch out for leprechauns.

And yes I am wearing green. It's on my underpants.

No comments:

Post a Comment