Monday, July 13, 2009

How well do you think you know someone?

How well do you ever really know anyone? You can spend every day a week with a person talking about inconsequential matters, but does that mean you know them? You can read a person's blog daily and still not know who that person really is.

Let me tell you about me.


I am tall. I am 5'10" and I never liked being this tall. As a woman I feel the constant pressure to be feminine and delicate. I am no delicate rose, let me tell you. I am working hard to accept who I am. I am working on loving myself for who and what I am. I am tall, I am strong and I am damn proud of it.

I am really shy and awkward around other people including family members. This may surprise some people. I seem to always have something to say in any situation. I can fake extroverted behaviour very well. I am constantly thinking though, am I trying to hard? was that really funny? do people really want to hear what I have to say? I am working hard to ignore that rude little voice in my head that tells me these things. I think to myself, yes, what I have to say is worthwhile, I take a deep breathe and speak.

I am learning to think positively. The Secret is helping with this. I will not dwell on the negativity in my life; instead, I will think of all the wonderful things, people, love I have in my life and focus on that instead. As Buddha said, "Be happiness itself". I shall work towards that goal.

I have a wonderful, large family. We are crazy and clumsy and happy together. Some of my family I don't know as well as I would like, but as I grow older, I find myself drawn more and more to them. I am making an effort to be in contact with my family, because I want to know them better.

I have amazing friends. Friends are the family you chose and my little family is fun and eccentric and wonderful. I am so happy to have these (and YOU) people in my life. You make my life happy.

My favourite colour is green. It is the colour of spring, grass and life. I can never be unhappy or depressed around anything green.

I got married in the rain. I wore a black cocktail dress with a green shawl and I was so incredibly happy with the entire day. We later went and had our wedding feast in the park (in the rain). We had a weenie roast. I wouldn't change that day for the world.

I love music. Music is a wonderful way of expressing your thoughts; a great way of expressing what you want to say but can't think of the words yourself. My favourite music is older rock and roll. I feel they had a very sincere message with their music. My favourite songs?
Give a Little Bit ~ Supertramp
Stairway to Heaven ~ Led Zeppelin
Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd
Let it Be & All You Need is Love~ The Beatles

It is strange the little things that make you feel like you know someone a bit better. A favourite song or colour. An insecurity bravely revealed to the world. A brief glimpse into the wedding day.

Does this help, even a bit, help you feel you know me better?

2 comments:

  1. WOW Thank you for that insight into you ... I never would have guessed! You forgot to mention how incredibly brave you are - to reveal that much about yourself can only be called brave. I feel very priveleged to have read it!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherri for your kind words! I am trying to be more truthful and positive and I wanted to share that. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete