So, guess what I'm making for dinner? Haha, yup spaghetti.
Growing up, spaghetti was one of the main dishes in our household. We were an Italian Canadian household; lots of Canadian dishes like meatloaf, sausages and potatoes and steaks, and a few main Italian dishes like spaghetti.
Spaghetti was Dad's dish. He made spaghetti and chili (usually way to hot) and roasts. Mom did everything else. It was from my dad that I learn how to make spaghetti. I love spaghetti now that I'm older, as a kid I didn't appreciate it as much (but I feel that is because my dad used to put canned mushrooms and large chunks for peppers in the sauce, urgh) but it's definitely grown on me. Now, it is one of my staple dishes. I make roast, burgers, salads, chili and spaghetti. Wade does the rest of the cooking. Sounds fair to me.
So, without further ado, Spaghetti sauce a la Geronazzo!
Ingredients: (measurements are for pansies! bwahaha!!! Seriously though, use as much or as little as you want to make as much or as little as you want. Remember, it is a sauce though.)
one black shirt
extra lean ground beef
crushed chili peppers (optional for a bit of heat)
red wine (for cooking, I swear!)
- Don black shirt. It will save you lots of laundry and frustration later.
- Pour a glass of wine. It helps you concentrate!
- Dice red onion, garlic and celery. (OMG, my eyes, my eyes!)
- Have some wine, that hurt!
- Add olive oil, garlic, onion and celery to a pan. Saute until slightly brown.
- Add ground beef and brown. Drain pan if necessary.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, spices and red wine. Lots of wine - it gives good flavour (yummy, yummy flavour). Remember though, as much wine as you add, you should add some tomato paste to balance it out. (The wine will make the sauce runny, the past will thicken it out.)
- Simmer on low until ready to service (sipping wine liberally), stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti pasta according to the box.
- Drain pasta, add sauce and voila! Dinner is ready!
- Have some more wine, that was a lot of work and you deserve it!