Friday, October 29, 2010

Pain

Ok, to start, I'm a big reader. I love to read; I love books. (Books are my babies.) I read a lot of fantasy, urban fantasy, horror fantasy, and romance (yes, I admit it). People tend to get beat up a lot in these types of books, in fact, some even die. But it isn't the ones that die I want to talk about right now, it's the ones who get beaten up.

As some of you are aware, I fell (dramatically) and broke a few ribs in August. I was incapacitated, barely able to move for a week with huge amounts of pain and suffering for another month (almost 2). In fact, my ribs still hurt and I need to be careful how I move lest they hurt even more. What I don't understand (and how this ties in to the previous paragraph), is how the heroine (or hero) of the above mentioned books is injured, broken ribs too, is able to walk away from - or even continue fighting in - whatever situation brought about these injuries.

Before I fell, I too thought that broken ribs were something to be brushed off, a quick recovery, no big deal. Not so anymore; the pain of that fall is, to date, the most horrible thing I've ever experienced in my life. It was so bad, I thought I managed to break my back and had my husband call 911 and I was expecting to be told I'd done permanent damage to myself.

How do these heroines (or hero's) brush this off? The pain and fear. Am I just a wimp? Can I truly not handle pain? I've suffered many years of debilitating cramps and this was way worse. I've broken my arm before, didn't hurt nearly as bad so what gives? The only theory I've come up with (aside from the whole, I'm a wimp thing) is that perhaps the author has never felt this pain before and, never having felt the pain of broken ribs, does not know how severe it really is. How incapacitating it can be.

Either that, or I really am a wimp.

2 comments:

  1. Here's hoping you get better soon! Chalk the rest up to literary license?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking the authors have never experienced true broken ribs! They need to do more research. Hope you're back to normal soon,

    ReplyDelete