Friday, December 10, 2010

The Surgery

So, I promised a more detailed accounting of the surgery I underwent but have been recovering since my last post, so here it is.

I underwent a tubal ligation on Monday. It was a day surgery, so I was in and out of the hospital all in one day. I'd been planning on having one for the past 2 years as my husband and I don't want children and I strongly dislike taking HBC (I don't like messing with my body too much and the hormones and chemicals make me nervous). I arrived at the hospital at 8:30 in the morning to be ready for my surgery at 10:30 thanks to a great friend who gave me a ride. I wasn't at all nervous about it on the days leading up to that day, but I was nervous that morning.

It's funny, I wasn't nervous about the surgery, no I was nervous about being put to sleep for the surgery. I've never had a surgery before Monday so I had no idea what to expect. It was really easy though. Luckily for me, everyone at the hospital was really nice and explained what was going to happen in great detail so my nerves settled pretty fast.

Anyways, at 10:30 I was given some medicine to drink that would suppress acid reflux and wheeled into the pre-operating room where I was hooked up to an IV (yay, needles!). The anesthesiologist explained took the time to tell me how they were going to put me to sleep, how long I'd be out, and what would happen when I woke up in recovery. She, and one of my nurses were absolute angels! So, so nice and comforting! Very shortly afterwards, I was wheeled into the operating room - and I can't believe how many people are in there for the surgery, they really take care of you - and transferred to the operating table. I was given oxygen and they administered the drugs to put me to sleep. That was so strange! One moment I was totally fine - a little nervous mind you, but fine - then next, it felt like I was spinning and woozy and could barely keep my eyes open. Closed them for a second and woke up in recovery!

Not gonna lie, I was hurting and disorientated when I woke up, but it was my throat and shoulder that hurt the most. My throat because of the breathing tube I had in and my shoulder because one of the side effects of anesthetic is muscle fatigue and soreness and it's usually the shoulders that hurt the most. The lights were too bright and man, when the cramps kicked in it felt as bad as I'd ever had them during that time of the month. But they were keeping a close eye on me and I was able to get some morphine for the pain and soon I was out of there and back to the day surgery waiting room.

I'm pretty lucky. Though I was feeling pretty bad right after the surgery, after the morphine kicked in, I was pretty good. Just a little dizzy. Another girl came out of surgery same time as I did, and she was definitely feeling a lot worse than I was. She was sick and throwing up and very, very dizzy. I was able to get myself mostly dressed (the thing I missed most while waiting and afterwards in recovery was my own underwear. I mean, you're completely naked under those gowns and underwear can go a long ways towards improving your morale) and just lay there waiting for my husband to come and pick me up.

I was feeling alright for the rest of that day, just sore, tired and a little out of it. Tuesday though, I felt terrible and it wasn't from the incisions or anything down there. It was the muscle fatigue and soreness. I was so stiff and sore that my neck, shoulders and arms hurt so bad I couldn't support my own weight so I couldn't lie down and then get back up. My legs were so sore I couldn't lift them off the ground. Tuesday sucked but it went away really fast. Wednesday I was a lot less stiff and Thursday all I had left were a bit of cramps. Totally fine today just can't wait for the stitches to come out.

I think the worst part of the entire process was taking the medicine for the acid reflux. It was horrible; bitter and sour, and I nearly threw it right back up. Waking up in recovery wasn't really nice either, but the disorientation passed quickly, and they watch you very closely there to make sure you're alright.

So that's it, how it went. I'm happy I did this. I'm happy I found a doctor who respected me and my choices enough to help me get the surgery I wanted. I'm very grateful that I've recovered as well and completely as I have and I'm so happy that I've had very little negative effects as a result of this surgery.

2 comments:

  1. well, I'm glad that's over for you.... I know what you mean about being nervous about being put to sleep... that's what I was the most nervous about with a colonoscopy.

    I'm so glad you had such great nurses! and that you are healing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Honestly, it was the only think I was worried about and it turned out ok so I'm really happy!

    ReplyDelete