Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Blues

The lead up to Christmas is usually the best time of the year for me, this year, no exceptions. It was made even better by the fact that this year I didn't have to work and I didn't have my yearly *death* cold. I was really able to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

However, the downside to all that anticipation and excitement, is the period between Christmas and New Year's. I find this time of year to be easily the most depressing time of year, hands down. Christmas is over, nothing more to look forward to for another year (or at least until Valentine's Day), the decorations are still up but instead of being bright and cheerful they appear garish, sad, and slightly wilted. Even with all the wonderful gifts one receives during this time of year I find it really easy to slide into a melancholy funk that is very hard to get out of.

This year, I have taken steps to combat this depression.

1) All Christmas decorations are packed and put away either on Boxing Day or the day after.

2) No more Christmas themed movies or music played in my house.

3) Everything, including new gifts are put away and incorporated into the household as soon as possible.

4) Take vitamins. Vitamin D has really been helping me this year, especially this winter. We have only north facing windows in our apartment so not a lot of natural light coming in!

The biggest one is putting the Christmas decorations away. They were always the saddest part of the days after Christmas to me and it really makes a world of difference not having them up. And just, really? Try not to think about it or dwell on the fact that Christmas is over for another year. After all, there is so much to look forward to in the New Year, right?

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it's always a big anticlimax after the big day, I always take down mine soon after as well.

    ReplyDelete